This September we will start a nutrition challenge and together we will make healthier food choices and continue to WOD consistently. This Zone Challenge is designed to help you learn the specifics of zone and what your body needs for fuel, to decrease body composition and weight, increase your performance, and ultimately set you on the path to a healthier lifestyle.
Sign up and Entry Fees due
8:00 – 10:00am Weigh in, Before pictures, and questions
8:30am Benchmark WOD
After picture must be taken on or before this date
8:00 – 10:00am Weigh in
8:30am Benchmark WOD
Two Sign-Up Options:
$75 – We are thrilled to work with Julie and LaMonte Styles at CrossFit West of the River and bring in their InBody Scanner! This scan gives you Body Compositions information and analysis (total body water, dry lean mass, body fat mass) that we will use to nail down specially what your zone intake should be to feed your lean body mass. This fee gives you a scan before and after, a full sheet breakdown for you to keep, pictures, nutritional information, weekly feedback on your food log, and support throughout the 4 weeks.
$30 – This will get you everything listed above without access to the scan before or after the challenge. We will do our best to estimate your Zone blacks needed and adjust throughout the 4 weeks if needed.
How do I get started and what do I do after I sign up?
- There is a $75 fee for current CFBLK athletes who participate in this challenge and include the Scan. This gets you the InBody Scan to start and end the challenge, nutritional information, food logs graded with weekly feedback, and nutritional guidance throughout the 30 days. For those who would like to participate and not include the scan, there will be a $30 fee.
- Have your before and after pictures taken. Men will be photographed in shorts without shirts and women will be photographed in shorts and sports bras. ALL pictures will be completely confidential, except when used for privately determining the contest winners.
- Track your progress and submit your “Zone Log” every weekly Emily in person or via email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
What special tools or equipment will I need for the Challenge?
- A kitchen scale is very helpful! This can be purchased very reasonably at Wal-Mart, Target, or just about anywhere with a kitchen section. A scale will be imperative in being strict with your Zone plan.
What do I need to eat during the challenge?
We will be available to answer questions about food options, but we will cover the bulk of this information during the Nutrition Lecture. There are a number of articles posted on www.CrossFit.com that will help you along with many recipes online. After we take your initial body composition measurements, we will assign the amount of blocks you will eat per day.
Basically, we hope you choose foods based on this phrase: “Meats, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, moderate starch, and NO SUGAR!” If you stick to this phrase, follow your blocks, and measure and weigh your food, you are on the right path.
Make sure to drink a lot of fluids (preferably water) while adjusting to the zone diet. You will naturally force out the unwanted food stores inside of the body and go through a short detox lasting several days to a week. Once your body has adjusted to the diet, you will experience increased energy, healthy body changes, and an improved health and wellness.
What can I expect during the challenge?
- This is a change towards a healthy lifestyle, not necessarily a diet. This is a challenge to raise awareness of the importance of combining quality nutrition with exercise, more specifically CrossFit. You will experience a lot of changes this month and learn to read your body in new ways. Please feel free to come to us with any questions, concerns, suggestions and feedback.
- There are many foods that we eat on a daily basis, but on average, none carry the same craving as carbohydrates. When we eat a lot of processed breads, pastas, oats, crackers etc., our body breaks them down and stores them just like sugar. By limiting the amount of complex sugars/carbohydrates consumed in your diet, your body might experience withdraw or increased hunger. As this does not sound pleasant, it only lasts for a short time (5-7 days) and you will eventually acclimate to the diet. Once the changes start to take place, your mood, energy, and metabolism will all improve.
- We request that you keep a strict journal this month of all that you are eating, the workouts that you are doing and the amount of hours that you are sleeping. This way, when you come to us with specific questions we will have a frame of reference. If we do not know what you are eating, it will be difficult for us to support your nutritional choices throughout the challenge.
How will the winners be determined?
Prizes will be awarded in three categories for both men and women:
- Total Overall Points
This will show the most consistent change in behavior over time. Prizes will be awarded to the top man and woman. Points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
10 points (total) for your pictures. (AFTER PICTURES MUST BE TAKEN TO RECEIVE POINTS.)
1 point per meal that is “In the Zone” – 5 points per day MAX.
1 point per day that you get at least 8 hours of sleep.
1 point each day you complete a WOD, 5 points per week MAX.
Bonus points will be awarded for completing both Benchmark WOD’s.
- Body composition
The male and female winner will be determined by the largest amount of bodyfat lost over the 4-week period. We will be using the InBody Scanner to determine body-fat percentages. To win this category you must participate in the scan.
- Before and After Pictures
One male and one female winner will be chosen based on biggest change in the pictures.